‘Virtually’ Follow Your London Marathon Runner

April 4, 2010

Information

Please note… If you’re looking for 2013 London Marathon Tracking Information, please Click this link to take you to the 2013 updated information

Would you like to follow me, or any other runner, on the 25th April at the Virgin London Marathon from the comfort of your sofa?  Super technology from Adidas makes it easy and you won’t even get out of breath!

Track your runner from start to finish with the Adidas waptracker, available on your mobile and online via Facebook.

Follow these simple instructions to add another dimension whilst you watch on TV all the amazing elite, amateur and charity marathon runners:

TEXT
Text the word ‘RUN‘ to 83040* and adidas will send you a link to the mobile tracking service

ENTER
Simply enter the race number of your runner and the system will do the rest (My Virgin London Marathon race number is 41790)

RUN
Adidas’ award-winning tracking service follows your runner by using the timing chip in their shoe as they pass the 5k markers along the course.

visit www.facebook.com/adidasrunning to download the Adidas waptracker app

Where M I - Revel Mob

*texts charged at your standard network rate.  To use the service your phone must be WAP enabled.
You may need to call your network provider to WAP activate your handset. Adidas will not charge you to use the service you will be connected to a mobile internet system which your network provider may charge you to use in accordance with your contract.  Adidas recommends you enquire about internet charges with your network provider before using the service.

, , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to “‘Virtually’ Follow Your London Marathon Runner”

1. Aisling Burke Says:

The link to Facebook Adidas tracker is not functioning. can you suggest another way of tracking the progress of my cousin running the race?
    Aisling

• Joanna Says:

Hi Aisling,
      I’m working on trying to get more information. The information I gave for last years marathon worked great and you’d think it would all be up and running for this year too…but nope..or at least, not yet. I’ve tried contacting Adidas and VLM direct but haven’t had a response.

Does your cousin use a smartphone like and iPhone? I’m checking out instructions today for how to use something like mapmyrun. Leave it with me and I’ll see what I can find out.

Many thanks for visiting and taking the time to leave a question.
      Best wishes
      Joanna

2. Caroline Hinton Says:

Hi,

I’ll keep checking this as my other half is running and I would like to see him actually running! Thanks for your help,

Caroline

• Joanna Says:

Hi Caroline,

I promise to post up any info I have the moment I get it. Would love to know how your husband gets on.. do come back and let me know.

Good Luck and I’ll stay in touch.

Best wishes
      Joanna

PS If you Subscribe to this site, you’ll be able to receive free updates straight to your email inbox.

3. Paul Donovan Says:

Just seen this post on Runners World..

Emma Cooper 5
    Today 15:27 1 forum post
    I have just enquired about the runner tracking and have been advised that VLM are not doing it this year as they say that last year it was not successful

Looks like we might be out of luck.. :-(

• Joanna Says:

Thanks for reporting this Paul. Very disappointing as I had lots of people track me round last years London Marathon and it seemed to work ok. With all the technology out there you’d think there would be a way for us to figure this out … hmm.. anyone got any ideas?

Surely iPhone or similar has something trackable … any GPS techies out there?

Really appreciate the help Paul. Stay in touch.

Best wishes
      Joanna

4. Lee C Says:

Thanks for the info…..I’m thinking maybe Google latitude might be an answer, will do some digging around – as this ankle of mine is preventing me going much further than the sofa :(

• Joanna Says:

Hiya Lee,
      MapMyRun has an app that I usually use on my iPhone for when I can actually run. Only noticed today if you go to the apps screen that you can click on ‘Live’ and an option to have your friends track you is available… However, don’t all whoop for joy just yet … I have it on good authority (@NeilLock) that battery life and mobile signal may be a problem on the day. Endomondo and RunKeeper work the same way as iMapMyRun so some alternatives to try out before the big day.

Definitely worth a try!

Enjoy that sofa .. it won’t last long. Hope all heals asap. Say a big hi to Mrsjackcabnory, I’m sure she’s looking after you :)

Best wishes
      Joanna

5. Lee C Says:

Thanks, yes, Deb has used the runkeeper live tracking too….and yes, the battery life is drastically sapped – it’s good for about 10miles and that’s about it….will see how we go with latitude and report back :)

• Joanna Says:

Thanks Lee .. I had better luck with iMapMyRun then as I tracked a horrible run round Rutland Water (22 miles) and boy did it take forever .. cold, injured ITB & took 4 hours. Let me know if you uncover anything else re latitude and I’ll do likewise

6. Adam Says:

If you have an iPhone. Sign up to mobile me on the phone and it’ll let anyone track your exact position. You’ll have to share your password, but you could always change it?

Hpe this helps

Adam

7. ls Says:

This works. Thank vv much James

8. gemma mason Says:

GO A’COURTS GIRLS FROM BOURNEMOUTH WOOOOOO :D

9. Polly Says:

Hi,
    Seems a bit odd, although the website doesn’t exist (been trying all morning and it says page no longer exists), the subscriber will still allow you to send texts to it (taking your money) and even sends you the link even though its not valid anymore.

10. Carla Says:

Hi Joanna, I’ve asked VLM and they say there’s no tracking app for this year but it’s something they’re considering for next year. Do you know of any unofficial apps for 2013?

11. Fiona Hammond Says:

Hi

I was at the London Marathon yesterday and was helping friends use the new tracker app. Can someone tell me how to request enhancements to the Virgin London Marathon 2014 tracker app. Couple of things:

1) Friends of mine had trouble tracking their son after adding his name to the app. It was not clear that they had to add him as a ‘Favourite’ and the ‘Favourite’ column was not clearly distinguishable. This needs to be made clearer with better signposting.

2) Would it be possible to show the stats for Estimated Time of Arrival for the runner? (At the moment the app shows number of Kms the runner has done)? This would be useful to know and hopefully a simple calculation!

Kind regards

Fiona Hammond (a Senior Business Consultant currently with Transport for London)

• Joanna Says:

Hi Fiona,

Many thanks for getting in touch. I’d suggest getting in touch via the London Marathon Facebook page, if you can. A decent tracker app has been long sought after by London Marathon runners & supporters.

I used the tracker app yesterday to monitor a number of Just1MoreMile.com followers but had various problems .. at one point, the little animated runners were running backwards on the map and one (despite finishing in real life) never made it even to half way.

There are some alternative apps, like MyWhereAbouts, but this is the most advanced that the London Marathon has got with their own app..which isn’t really an app as it’s on their website and not a separate stand-alone product specifically engineered for mobile use.

I did see an Estimated Time of Arrival though on the screen but I didn’t find their figures particularly easy to read. As you say, there’s a lot more work that needs to be done. As soon as we hear developments in this area, you can be sure that we’ll announce them on Just1MoreMile.com.

Many thanks again for taking the time to contact Jus1MoreMile.

Best wishes