Stronger Feet

September 3, 2010

Training

The internet can be a hugely useful training tool when it comes to running.  Apart from all the information out there about diet and nutrition, there’s also oodles of things to motivate and inspire you too.   I especially enjoy it when I find practical, easy to follow guides on how to improve my running technique.  A really good example comes from the American long distance runner, Ryan Hall and his Youtube channel.

The following video, with my friend Josh Cox and Sara Hall, is a great example of something simple, explained well and easy to implement into anyone’s ordinary training plan.

It makes a lot of sense to work on these simple techniques.  If you watch the series of ‘Stronger Feet Make Faster Marathons’ videos, you’ll see that these exercises really aren’t difficult at all.  In fact, I’ll bet that most of us skipped, jumped and hopped our way through childhood … we just got out of the habit.  Re-introducing these simple exercises for stronger feet into my post-run schedule has been great fun.  I can’t help but smile when I skip or hop .. I suspect anyone watching me gets a laugh too!

Let me know how you get on with these exercises or perhaps you have your own sports training video you’d like to share.

, , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Stronger Feet”

1. Darlene Davis Says:

Joanna,
    The video shows excellent exercising tips for running. I feel your passion for running, and I look forward to learning a lot more from you.

Years ago I was a marathon runner and it is an activity I miss a lot. Do you have any suggestions for workout routines for the disabled? I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts.

• Joanna Says:

Hi Darlene,
      Great to hear from you. I’m glad you asked me about workout routines for the disabled. It is something that I want to cover here because having rebranded/renamed the site ‘Just One More Mile’ I believe this is inherant in everyone’s get fit/stay healthy mantra regardless of ability. Watch out for some posts about swimming which will start with ‘I Run Therefore I Swim’ .. coming soon! Perhaps when you get a minute you could drop me an email so we can chat more about this subject, I have a feeling you have a lot to offer.
      Speak to you soon
      Best wishes
      Joanna

2. Belinda Cunningham Says:

Joanna I am not a marathon runner but I do some running. I haven’t skipped for a long time so I am going to put it into my warm up this afternoon just for the fun of it. In my 40′s I started Tae Kwon Do and I remember doing my first somersault in years and how funny it felt, also just jumping with two feet off the ground was hard to do. Why do we loose the joys of childhood so easily. I am going to jump and skip my way through my afternoon exercise.
    Thanks Belinda

• Joanna Says:

Hi Belinda
      Try picking up a skipping/jump rope! I have never felt so uncoordinated and lumpy! But I love to watch Double-Dutch and it’s only my fear of being laughed at that stops me joining in!!
      Here’s to jumping and skipping ..and of course, much laughter!!

Best wishes
      Joanna

3. LGN Prosperity Says:

Hey Joanna,

I have always been a big fan of running barefoot on the beach because I have always felt that gives me some of the best strengthening for my feet. Being a skateboarder and all I have to keep my body, feet included, in top shape otherwise I will be likely to get injured on the board…

4. Mike Pedersen Says:

Joanna,

I have always admired marathon runners, as I just don’t think I could do it. I don’t have a long distance bone in my body. This video is excellent as people that pound the pavement can experience serious foot problems. You bring great value to the running community. Keep it up.

Cheers,
    Mike

5. Personal Development - Andrew Sayers Says:

Howdy

So it’s not enough that I drag myself around the county gasping for air? I now need to skip in public as well?

Awesome! Can’t wait.. Actually with all the niggly injuries we pick up these exercises look great for marathon running so when nobody’s looking I’ll give them a go. I was wondering if they’d be useful for swimming as well? I don’t know about you but I get cramp in my calves sometimes when doing the crawl. Front crawl in the water, not to the locker room. :)

I’m going now.

A

6. Rick Salas Says:

Hi Joanna, Great article. I do a lot of running and so this is good to know. Thanks for sharing it with us.

7. John Gaydon Says:

A great video. I am not a runner, but I can see how this could help build my legs for playing Tennis. I found that Chava Chocolate has helped my athletic performance in the gym and on the Tennis Court. It wasn’t something I expected, but now I am really hooked on it!

I will be back for more of this.

8. LeeAnn Townsend Says:

Hi Joanna,

I have never been a runner, but considered giving it a try. I enjoyed this post and your blog in general. I really need to get my motivation going to give running a try. Several people have told me that it is really good to relieve stress. I could sure use that…lol :)

LeeAnn :)

9. karin@social bookmarking Says:

What a great demo of the power of video. It would have been hard to accurately describe these exercises and keep them understandable for the reader. With the video that problems is gone.
    By the way, these same exercises are great for other sports besides running.
    Thanks for sharing. I continue to be amazed by the details that play a role in (marathon) running.

10. Kevin Martineau Says:

I tried running for a period of time last year. I was running 6 km 3 times a week. Unfortunately, I stopped and I haven’t run since. I think will to start again! :)

11. Peter Fuller MBA Says:

Hey Joanna

I am not a runner but I am a walker>

Any suggestions for walkers, or just getting out and walking is good enough?

Peter

12. Alan Jenkin Says:

Great tips from Ryan Hall, Joanna! These exercises look like fun as well as being effective. I can’t wait to try them out on my next run (tomorrow).

Thanks for the tips!
    Alan

13. Clare Kelway Says:

Hi Joanna,

I used to be a runner but injury stopped me. however, I now cycle instead. Strong feet are so important for all of us. Skipping is such fun and I have recently purchased a skipping rope for the first time in my adult life. My kids just love me to skip with them – it is both healthy and family-fun. Thanks for such a great blog. This information is important for everyone, whether you are a runner or not.
    Blessings
    Clare

14. Clare Kelway Says:

Hi Joanna, I love your blog, your message which is applicable to us all whether we are runners or not. I used to run, no longer due to injury but I cycle now. I recently bought a new skipping rope which I love to use with my kids – they think it is fun when i skip with them. Great to do something healthy and fun at the same time.
    Blessings
    Clare

15. kebabope Says:

Hi Joanna,
    Great for pointing out how the internet helps you on your career, yes it is a gold mine for information and good job on working your way up.

To your unlimited success,

~Kebabope morapedi

16. Kimberly Castleberry Says:

I’ve seen a lot of workout routines and exercises but those were new to me and really cool. I like how he explained the anatomical correlation and why these would increase stride length or speed. Thats a great video and I’m looking forward to you sharing more!
    Kimberly

17. Robin van der Merwe Says:

Now THAT looks like fun! If I saw someone doing this on their run, I would just think they were having a super happy day! (laugh)….. gotta try this… it just looks way too fun!

Thanks so much for sharing this, Joanna!
    Robin

18. Mr. Personal Development Michael Berry Says:

I’m not a runner any longer (power walker walking our dogs) Joanna but I used to be. Your article reminded me of an episode where Phoebe ran like a kid and had fun and Rachel refused to run with her. It was funny. When I was running marathons I remember really working one my feet running straight and flat and not pronateing. By focusing on my feet I was able to change my running style.

Michael

19. Bill Cowan Says:

Still hanging in there my friend!

20. rebecca russell Says:

Hi Joanne,

Love your blog approach, there is another person in TSA that is a runner and posts on that subject….Alan Jenkin. Excercing and especially the feet is so important for the rest of the body…I hate to see people shuffling or limping along…need to do more…thanks for sharing. rebecca

21. Joe Malinowski Says:

Very interesting stuff! I never thought about how strengthening you feet could help you out like that.

I just starting working out more often and when I go to the park for a while for a walk/jog I notice my feet getting sore rather fast.

I will get on it. Thanks for the tip!

Joe

22. Dr. Adam Sheck Says:

Joanna,
    I can’t say I could follow all of the technical aspects and muscle groups, yet I’m willing to give it a try and see what it does for my body.
    Thanks for sharing the video,
    Adam

23. Kathy Jodrey Says:

Hi Joanna,

What a great blog. I love how you’ve turned your passion into something that can really help other runners – congratulations! I am not a runner but am in training to walk the Susan G Komen 3 Day Walk for breast cancer in 2011. While training I’ve somehow managed to get a bone spur in one of my feet, which leads me to truly appreciate what you’re doing to help educate people.